Thursday, November 11, 2010

Moushumi is a sneak

>After reflecting on Moushumi's selfish acts of adultery, I thought of a friend of mine whose mother just revealed that she has been having an affair for the past two years.  The three sisters living in the house feel extremely betrayed and confused. She often asks me, "WHY did she have to rip our family apart like this?" Since this is new news, the parents are forced to continue to live in the same house, either constantly fighting or just do not speak at all, causing an eerie silence throughout the house, until the father finds an apartment. My friend cannot look at her mother without feeling disgusted; this one action has forever tainted their relationship. I believe that situation very similar to this one could occur in Gogol and Moushumi's household if she continues to justify her relationship with Dimitri, an apparently pathetic "small, balding, unemployed, middle-aged man", or another man once they eventually have children (266). The fact that Moushumi chooses this unimpressive man as Gogol's successor further indirectly characterizes her a desperate. If Moushumi is unhappy, she needs to immediately divorce Gogol. The longer she waits to do so, more problems will likely arise. Although Gogol may cause her to feel trapped, she needs to communicate her feelings with him, so that he beings to properly communicate as well.

3 comments:

  1. Meghan, I agree with your characterization of Moushumi very much! Sometimes when I get involved with a book or movie, I forget that every plot and character somehow comes from real world inspiration. I find it repulsive that women can harm their husband’s in such a way, but to do this to their children? I am disgusted and overwhelmed by how guiltless people act these days. Moushumi stays up at night, worried about confrontation, but not out of guilt but out of fear for how she will respond. Not only does she cheat behind his pack, but she also prepares to “lie to his face” (265). It makes me sad to see that this sort of betrayal has become the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Meghan's view of Moushumi. I too believe that she should divorce Gogol instead of leading him on when she is clearly unhappy. I also feel that if Moushumi waits to confront her problems, they shall only become more complex and will result in more guilt than she already has experienced. On the other hand, Moushumi and Gogol need to communicate more in their marriage. They both shy away from expressing their wants and desires, indirectly characterizing both of them as immature and childish. I find this ironic given that Moushumi seems quite confident in other aspects of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly agree with you Meghan, I have felt Moushumi had an obnoxious, pathetic, and desperate. To base a relationship off of similar torturous pasts seems just too flawed for Moushumi to actually believe she will find happiness with Gogol. Her affair with Dimitri did not surprise me at all, and I believe that their relationship will lead no where as long as the two refuse to cooperate or interact properly. I agree with you that the best course of action is to divorce Gogol, before their marriage spirals completely out of control

    ReplyDelete