Thursday, December 2, 2010

What I Think About While Swimming

Swimming, a sport which involves staring at the same black line at the bottom of the pool for two hours with a limited oxygen supply and the bitter taste of chlorine lingering in one's mouth, has remarkably gotten more exciting since the beginning of AP English. I now analyze much of what I see or how I am feeling at the moment based on which set Coach Beth makes us swim. Some examples include:

1). Jackie is touching my feet, which indirectly characterizes her as impatient and unwilling to swim in front of me, eliciting pathos of frustration in me because I would rather not have somebody lingering this close to me.

2). When Beth says, "Now you guys have to swim 8 400's, and negative-split them", my tone toward her abruptly changes from admired, derived from the positive diction of "awesome" in saying, "Our Beth is an awesome Beth" to an extremely annoyed tone in about less than a second. This marks the time where I can only groan and utter the word, "SERIOUSLY?" Undoubtedly, my short syntax in my expression also reveals my deep frustration.

3). Lastly, as Davis says, "Gosh, Meghan, why is the suit you're wearing so ugly?", I indirectly characterize him as extremely rude. Here, he represents a synecdoche for male swimmers, stereotyping them as ignorant because they really have no sense of style nor color coordination. His inclusion of "gosh" demonstrates his utter shock in my attire and elicits pathos of anger in me because of his lack of respect for my bathing suit.

The commentaries do not stop here. Each day, I craft a sentence of analysis during practice, depending on my mood. I actually come to appreciate our grueling activities in English because it provides for me a source of enjoyment, as a way to pass the time in the pool.

1 comment:

  1. The comment about Davis proved incredibly humorous. Although, I guess I am not really surprised he said that (not because of the suit, but more so because I suppose I can just see him saying something like that). I too tend to analyze the aspects of ordinary and everyday life.

    ReplyDelete