Sunday, December 5, 2010

Why Are Most Successful Writers on Drugs?

As we discussed Ken Kesney the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, I was not very surprised to learn about his "Acid Test" parties, which had black lights, LSD, cocaine, and the other hallucinogenic drugs for his guests to enjoy. This is because, after doing a little big of research on the topic of famous authors who abuse drugs, I came across this Top-10 list:

http://www.alternativereel.com/includes/top-ten/display_review.php?id=00075

These writers have produced some of the greatest works of literature, and it definitely upsets me to know that almost none of their books were written in a sober state of mind. It also slightly discourages me, because it makes me wonder. Does this mean that in order to take my writing to the next level, I have to pour myself a large glass of vodka or even take acid?

2 comments:

  1. Meggie, I also find it shocking that authors can write magnificent pieces of literature while in an altered state. The idea of it kind of goes against everything I've been taught in school. One can also see the role of drugs in art and music especially. People who are addicted to drugs often must take the drugs in order to feel "normal." I think is why people can produce art, music and literature under the influence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There do seem to be a lot of artists under the influence. I suppose that is because most art is about pushing boundaries and expressing the innermost, craziest parts of one's self, which comes to the surface via drugs and alcohol. But there also exists just as many sober writers and other artists as those under the influence, that do not need that external creative push, Shakespeare and Lahiri to name a few.

    ReplyDelete