Thursday, January 6, 2011

Looks May Be Deceiving

http://www.posters.ws/images/275311/leonardo_dicaprio.jpg

This photo is one of Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie "The Titanic". In that movie, he portrays a sweet, caring young man who falls in love with Rose. I watched this movie a few days ago, and became very jealous of Rose. Why couldn't Leonardo fall in love with me? He is the most good-looking actor in Hollywood, if you ask me. Before monday, I had never seen "Shutter Island", but from watching the commercials and listening to my friends discuss the "creepiness" of it, I expected this film to be a horror movie instead of the psychological thriller it really is. Once Ms. Serensky turned on the movie on Monday, I was very pleased to see Leonardo Dicaprio call himself the "Marshall". I thought to myself, "So HE will undoubtedly be the hero of this movie, and take down the bad guys". Throughout the movie, I became very frustrated with the uncooperative staff members and their apparent reluctancy to give Teddy (Leonardo) the proper information for him to successfully solve the case. Despite the strange visions and apparent hallucinations that he has throughout the movie, I failed to infer that he is really a paranoid schizophrenic. This is because in movies, I, along with many others, tend to root for the narrator because from their point of view, their opinions usually seem to be the most logical. His drop-dead gorgeous looks also may play a role in my ignorant assumption also. "Shutter Island" does an excellent job portraying how it really is to be a paranoid schizoprenic. Therefore, what I have learned from this is to have more empathy for those suffering from mental illnesses, because in their minds, mostly everything appears to be real and they have much difficulty distinguishing reality versus fantasy.

1 comment:

  1. Meghan, I completely agree with you; Leonardo DiCaprio is pretty awesome! Also, I experienced the same feelings that you did the first time I watched Shutter Island. I was so enthralled in the intense plot of the movie, that I never imagined the main character to be mentally insane himself. Like you, I was really nervous that the movie was more of a horror movie, and spent a lot of the movie planning on being afraid instead of focuses on the psychological intensity of it.

    ReplyDelete