Sunday, April 17, 2011

Favorite Day in AP English

A week or so ago...






Today, I woke up and just knew it would be a great day. First of all, my dog (Foster) never pays any attention to me, and usually prefers to play with my other family members. In fact, he has not once slept in my bedroom at night, but takes turns sleeping in Britt's, Stacey's, or Jakie's room. This unkind gesture deeply hurts and offends me, but I will spare the blog world the depressing details of my pathetic feelings. However, this morning, a revelation occurred. I was awakened by Foster, wagging his tail and licking my nose. At first, I was in disbelief, but then I realized, maybe today is just The Day. Driving to school, Jackie and I were laughing with each other, not screaming at each other for a change.

I then arrived to Ms. Serensky's AP English 12 class with a giant grin on my face. Nothing caused this grin, I had it just because I was finally "in a state resembling happiness"(Currie, 196). I sat down in my seat, next to the infamous Thomas Donley, my very own writing partner. He was indeed wearing pastel shorts with sperrys, a pink button-down collared shirt with a few of the top buttons undone. He only saves his savvy glasses for special occasions, so of course he was rockin' them today. Because "my first impressions are never wrong", it dawned on me that he was dressed up for his lacrosse game (Wilde, 34). The cheeky comments from Ms. Serensky just began pouring in and I could not stop laughing. She began her "Dear Journal" impressions which indeed lightened the mood of the stressful enviornment the English room usually has. Thomas then whispered over to me, "Hey Megs, nice sperrys". I looked down at both of our feet, and yes, we had almost identical-looking shoes on. I guess this moment bonded our relationship, because he went on to tell me, "Our love and comforts should increase/Even as our days grow"(Shakespeare, 2.1, 90-91). I know that our days of school are waning and most of us seniors are trying to savor these last high school moments, but never in a million years did I expect Mr. Thomas Donley to say such a thing to me after simply realizing that we have similar taste in shoes.

Oh how I would have loved to read his "Dear Journal" entry for that day.

2 comments:

  1. Meghan, this definitely was one of my favorite days as well. I find it funny that you chose it as your best because I am pretty sure you almost fell over my backpack that same day. However, I am glad to hear that you and Jackie have been getting along better. Ms. Serensky may not be able to pick on the two of you after your new found love for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan,
    I always hear the Thomas stories from Ms. Serensky in our class and I always wish I could be in 3rd period to watch these interactions occur, I’m quite jealous of you. I spotted him that same day and complemented him on his pants; I’m a fan of the pastels. Along with Kelsey, I'm very proud of you and Jackie for such a great car ride, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete