Thursday, April 21, 2011

So Short, Yet So Enjoyable

Although I do not enjoy poetry at all, the poem "This is Just to Say" by William Carlos Williams really caught my attention because it reminds me of something I would do in the face of food temptation. As many of my friends know, I am constantly eating. When I am hungry I get very grouchy and unpleasant, so often times I do not mind stealing from my family's refrigerator even if somebody labeled their name on it. People like my mother think "It is so silly" of me to act this way, but honestly, when I am hungry, I could care less (Wilde, 17). On the other hand, however, when somebody in my family eats the food I have carefully labeled for myself, I become very irritated and "I think it is most ill-natured of [them]"(15). I will scream and yell, "how idiotic you are!"(15). Didn't you see my name labeled clearly on the container? And then they scream back in my face and tell me that I am a huge hypocrite. I just accept it, because personal humility sometimes can usually take a back seat to my ingestion of delicious food. Go ahead and try to verbally rip me apart. I dare you. When I am on a mission to enjoy my favorite foods, I will ignore you until I have eaten the last morsel.

Therefore, I feel like this poem has my name written all over it. The lighthearted and careless tone creates pathos of admiration for the speaker, because he or she has described an instance in a straightforward, yet enjoyable manner, rather than straying from the purpose and giving unnecessary information.

No comments:

Post a Comment