Thursday, April 7, 2011

One Moment Can Change your Life Forever

Dear Junior,

It is summer right before my junior year of High School. I am currently sitting at the Chagrin Valley Recreation Center, my place of employment. There are several incoming seniors who have already experienced their AP English 11 journeys and I am asking them what I should expect and what to focus on in my summer reading book. This book, "Lucky" is currently in my hands,waiting to be opened for the first time.

What a coincidence it is that you have the same name as my most pivotal class in High School-my "Junior year" English class, otherwise known as "AP English 11". The voice in your head which informs you of future events in time seems to have a striking similarity to my the words of my wise co-workers' advice. They tell me, "you need to make sure that you annotate your summer reading and take very detailed notes". I respond, already intimidated, by saying, "Please stop trying to confuse me"(213). "I have no idea what "annotate" means. Is this some sort of sick joke? I mean, I always expect the worst"(244). They then go on to tell me that I will be very scared of Ms. Serensky upon my arrival in her classroom the first day. But not to worry, because at first, "she tolerates [everybody], but nothing more"(277). They then advise me to stick with the class, no matter how challenged and confused I may feel, because it will all be worth it in the end, somehow.

As the year progresses, my in-class writing skills remain mediocre. However, as soon as the AP test occurs, the lightbulb in my head finally flips the necessary "on" switch and I realize that "anything, anything, anything is possible"(302). I realize that this has been one of the best decisions I have made in high school thus far. The single moment I decided it was time to challenge myself and take this grueling class significantly changed my educational life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment